Friday, March 14, 2014

"Normal"

I always wanted to be special.

I wanted to stand out as someone who lead a life that was considered unique or different.

In short, I was an idiot.

Knowing how to put a feeding tube into your infant is a pretty unique skill.

I think administering five different medications to a wiggly baby on a daily basis qualifies as a different lifestyle.

I used to get high off the feeling of standing out.

Now you'll find my most contented smile when something absolutely normal is happening, such as when I can bring my baby shopping with me.

When I walk down the stairs in our home carrying just a 17 lb baby, without an oxygen tank, a breathing monitor and the mars rover strapped on me, I can't help but grin and think, "This is the life."

So, here's a toast to normal! I raise my glass to mediocre, average and downright boring people everywhere! The closer I get to joining you, the more comfortable I feel.

I now strive for a medium sized house in the suburbs, a minivan, a dog, 2.5 children, and a rocking chair, where I can attempt to learn knitting for exactly 12 minutes, before deciding that small motor skills are over rated and I like reading better anyway.

Someday.

Until then, I've got to go thicken up some milk for my baby.

Love,
M.C.


No comments:

Post a Comment